Butterfly Sparks Designs

Friday, August 26, 2011

"It is too small a thing"

Isaiah 49:6 " It is too small a thing...."
The Lord says to Israel when He calls them to bigger things..more..and it gets me thinking

This morning came with gentle hands touch touch touching me awake..the sunlight through the curtains began the work of waking me before the 3 year old did (at 5:30 i must say).Bennett gently whispering in my ear..."mom, im hungry!"....the gentle words and slight 3 year-old morning breath coming closer to my face as the whispers get harsher, louder.."MOM! I'M HUNGRY!". Sleepy eyed and sluggish,i place one foot after the other onto hard wood floors. Mama wakes. Whispers exchange, food is served. The house is neutral gray as light wins its battle against darkness.

Bennett and i curl up on a couch together and watch a movie. Sweet moment...my eyes stay awake. "it is too small a thing" to choose sleep over holding my son close.

When all the boys wake we go to "The Biscuit House", and i wear my "East Nashville" T-shirt proud of our home and our lot in life at this moment.
Coffee and cream, eggs, grits, biscuits and gravy, pancakes...Bennett offers to put syrup on everyone's plate..OVER AND OVER AGAIN..
Amos whines for more pancakes, and i feel happy in this moment surrounded by my boys..the rich heritage from the Lord.
"it is too small a thing" to go about my day without thankfulness....thankfulness opens doors..invites...i am learning.


Amos is a chubby blond bundle of cuteness, and i literally cant help but scoop him up in arms and squeeze him till he makes a grunting noise.
"it is too small a thing"....how can i express how much i love this kid

Sometimes i see Bennett..all lanky and blond...miniature body with such adult comments flowing endlessly from his brain.....and i am enamored anew.
"it is too small a thing"...to merely write about this love...


Reading this morning in the Bible...(which is a rare moment that i should make happen much more than i do)
in Isaiah 49 it is talking of Israel being GOD's servant..things course through my mind as i read things like
"He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of His hand He hid me...made me into a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver and He said to me 'you are my servant, Israel, in whom I will display My splendor'.....

"it is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob...i will make you a light for the Gentiles that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth."


"IT IS TOO SMALL A THING" God says....


i read more...i am intrigued today by those words and still want more...

Isaiah 49:16
" i have engraved you on the palms of my hands."


What another beautiful picture of permanency amidst the change HE calls forth.
He engraves Israel on the palm of His hands and calls them to new things...new places in life. I want to keep this knowledge with me throughout today. The thoughts that He loves me too like that. Permanently engraving me into His palm as i walk and experience feelings of this life being "too small"...."Not enough"......

He surely must know these wrestles we all deal with, the unsatisfactions....and yet the satisfactions that are overwhelming pointing us to something much greater than ourselves.....



hmmmmmm.




1 comment:

Ariana said...

I'm just gonna sit and chew on this for awhile. Thank you. You always point back to Him.